Law Enforcement Cadets
How Can I Learn More About the Program?
- Watch the Summer Cadet Academy video on YouTube
- Watch the 2014 Cadets take their oath video on YouTube
- Watch 2014 Cadet Platoon Leader Ricardo Escobar give his speech video on YouTube
- Read an article about us in the San Francisco Chronicle
To learn more about the cadet program or answer any questions prior to submitting your application, you are invited to attend one of these information sessions at the San Francisco Police Academy, 350 Amber Drive in San Francisco:
- Dates and times of information sessions will be announced in 2015
How Do I Apply?
Complete the online application with all necessary attachments by 5:00pm on the deadline in April, 2015 to be considered for the 2015 Summer Cadet Academy. The deadline has not been set yet, but will be posted here with a link to the online application in early 2015.
Important note: the online application cannot be partially completed or saved. Please read and review this information page and the full application page before you begin. You will need to allow plenty of time to fill out the application completely before you submit to SFPAL.
What is the SFPAL Law Enforcement Cadet Program?
The SFPAL Law Enforcement Cadet Program is a collaborative effort of the San Francisco Police Activities League (SFPAL) and the San Francisco Police Department (SFPD). Since 1959 the PAL Cadet Program has provided opportunities for growth, leadership and career experience for thousands of San Francisco youth — including many who have chosen to pursue law enforcement or public service careers.
What is the schedule?
Applicants to the SFPAL Summer Cadet Academy must participate in the program for at least one full year. Cadets can continue in the program for as long as they wish until they reach 21 years.
- 4-week Summer Cadet Academy: dates in June and July will be announced in 2015 (closed for the holiday on July 4th).
- Year-round internship program: at SFPD stations or bureaus (approximately 6-8 hours per month). Graduates of the 4-week Summer Cadet Academy will be placed in an internship at an SFPD District Station and/or SFPD Bureau. Through these internships, PAL Cadets will have the opportunity to gain job and career skills in a structured environment supervised by police officers and will participate in police ride-alongs, help at SFPD district station community events, and assist with SFPD station activities as requested. Once a part of the program, participants can continue after the specified year commitment as long as they are in good standing and eligible or until age 21.
- Ongoing training and community service: Approximately three Thursdays each month, Cadets meet at the Police Academy for additional training and learning opportunities. Additionally, Cadets can volunteer to work alongside SFPD at community events and ceremonies during the week and on the weekends.
What will I get out of the program?
SFPAL Cadets receive training modeled after the basic training academy for new police recruits. You’ll be taught by SFPD Police Academy training staff. The program is designed to give you an enhanced hands-on job skills and leadership development experience through proper preparation and training. You will:
- Engage in program activities centered on the five emphasis areas of the Learning for Life/Explorer program that include:
- Career opportunities and job skills development;
- Life skills;
- Civic responsibility;
- Character education;
- Leadership experience.
- Experience positive leadership from adult and youth leaders and have the opportunity to take on leadership roles.
- Have a chance to learn and grow in a fun, supportive and caring environment.
- Gain practical experience and knowledge about careers in law enforcement and public service.
In addition to classroom training you will be required to perform significant physical training as part of the Summer Academy and subsequent trainings. You should be in good physical condition and are expected to have prepared and trained to get in shape on their own prior to the Summer Academy.
Do I Qualify (Eligibility)?
- Age 14-20
- Able participate in the program from June 2014 to May 2015
- Reside or attend school in San Francisco
- Must complete an San Francisco Police Department background check (criminal history and driving record, if applicable)
- Be currently enrolled as a student in a high school or college program
- Have and maintain a 2.0 GPA or higher
How Are Cadets Selected?
- Meet all eligibility requirements above
- Must commit to participate in the SFPAL Cadet program for at least a full year (June 2015-May 2016). You can stay in the program and advance for as many years as you wish and as long as you remain eligible
- Commitment to program goals and requirements
- Personal statement and recommendations