PAL Law Enforcement Cadets
Application for the 2013-2014 PAL Cadet Summer Academy and Internship Program is now CLOSED
Do you know a student interested in learning about law enforcement or public service careers? Consider the PAL Cadet program
The PAL Cadet Program has been in continuous operation since 1959 and has provided opportunities for growth and leadership for thousands of San Francisco youth, including many who have chosen to pursue law enforcement or public service careers. The program operates year-round and meets regularly to provide ongoing training and community service opportunities for Cadets. The SFPAL Law Enforcement Cadet Summer Academy is a collaborative program between the San Francisco Police Department (SFPD) and the San Francisco Police Activities League (SFPAL.)
The program has four goals for participants:
- Engage in program activities centered on the five emphasis areas of the Learning for Life/Explorer program that includes: Career opportunities and job skills development; Life skills; Citizenship; Character education and Leadership experience
- Experience positive leadership from adult and youth leaders and have the opportunity to take on leadership roles.
- Have a chance to learn and grow in a fun, supportive and caring environment.
- Gain practical experience and knowledge about careers in law enforcement and public service.
SUMMER CADET ACADEMY & SFPD STATION INTERSHIPS
There are three elements to the PAL Cadet Program. Applicants must commit to all of the following:
- 4-week Summer Cadet Academy: June 17 to July 12, 9:00am-3:00pm (holiday July 4th)
- Year-round internship program at SFPD stations or bureaus (approximately 6-8 hours per month)
- Ongoing training and/or community service (approximately 6-8 hours per month)
The Summer Cadet Academy provides training modeled after the basic training academy for new police recruits and is taught by SFPD Police Academy training staff. The Summer Cadet Academy is designed to give PAL Cadets an enhanced hands-on job skills and leadership development experience through proper preparation and training. In addition to classroom training Cadets are required to perform significant physical training as part of the Summer Academy. Participants should be in good physical condition and are expected to have prepared and trained to get in shape on their own prior to the Summer Academy.
Graduates of the Summer Cadet Academy will be placed in an internship at an SFPD District Station and/or SFPD Bureau. Through these internships, PAL Cadets will have the opportunity to gain job and career skills in a structured environment supervised by police officers and will participate in police ride-alongs, help at SFPD district station community events, and assist with SFPD station activities as requested. Once a part of the program, participants can continue after the specified year commitment as long as they are in good standing and eligible or until age 21.
- Age 14-20
- Birth date no earlier than June 1, 1993. (must be eligible to participate in the program from June 2014 – May 2014.)
- Reside or attend school in San Francisco
- Must complete an SFPD background check (criminal history and driving record, if applicable.)
- Be currently enrolled as a student in a high school or college program
- Have and maintain a 2.0 GPA or higher
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
- Meet all eligibility requirements above
- Must commit to participate in the PAL Cadet program for at least a full year (June 2013-May 2014)
- Participants can stay in the program and advance for as many years as they wish and as long as they remain eligible
- Commitment to program goals and requirements
- Personal statement and recommendation